Job Description and Selection Criteria
Position Title: Advocate – Full Time
Salary: $70 000 – $74 200 depending on experience
Employment Conditions: Permanent / Full Time
- SACS Level – determined by qualifications and experience
- Pro-rata of four (4) weeks recreation leave per annum
- Pro-rata of 10 days’ sick leave per annum – accumulative
- Standard six-month probationary period applies
- Minimum qualifications – tertiary qualifications, relevant to the position which may include: Disability or health related studies, social work or educational qualifications
- Position is directly responsible to the CEO of DAS
Responsibilities of the position:
- The provision of quality individual and systemic advocacy to persons with disabilities across Alice Springs and Amoonguna
- Promotion of the rights of persons with disability through an understanding of advocacy principles.
- Maintenance of accurate and up to date client records and data of individual advocacy delivered.
Applicants will be assessed and short-listed for interview for their suitability to this position against the following:
- Hold tertiary qualifications, relevant to the position which may include: Disability or Health related studies, Social work or Educational qualifications. OR
- Significant experience in the field of disability, human rights, or social justice sectors will be considered.
- Demonstrated understanding and strong commitment to the rights and interests of people with disability and self-advocacy as an essential part of effective empowerment
- Strong oral and written communication skills; and sound organisational, planning and time management skills.
- Ability to self-evaluate professional performance and growth
- A high level of interpersonal skills, particularly in the areas of negotiation and conflict resolution and experience developing and maintaining effective communication with clients
- Holder of Ochre Card or ability to acquire
- Sound working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of programs and experience in the use of a client database
- Basic knowledge of the National Disability Insurance Scheme
- Sound knowledge or ability to acquire knowledge of legislation relevant to supporting / advocating for people with disabilities. For example, the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 and N.T. Disability Service Standard
- Current N.T. ‘C’ class driver’s licence
- Experience working in a cross cultural environment
Referees: Please identify a minimum of two referees that can comment on your knowledge and skills relevant to this position.
Send applications to: [email protected]
Closing date: 26/04/2019